Tuesday, May 19, 2009

In the pulp of it

So today was all about getting your hands dirty, wet, slimy and sticky. I watched my friend's kids for most of the day, and in between motherly and domestic chores with 4 childen, I threw in some paper scraps and water into a blender and let it roll. Or blend. And grind. And then poured it all into a big vat of pulpy goodness. Ready for a fresh batch of 100% recycled, handmade paper.

My standard paper that I use most often for my paper goods is a soft white, slightly nubby 80# cover stock from Neenah. When making my invitations, cards, tags, whatever ephemera-of-the-day it is, I tend to cut off lots of scraps. I've been saving these scraps for months, and now pay dirt. They make gorgeous, second generation paper. My version is extremely nubby and crisp and stiff. I don't use a deckle during the process, I'm sort of "freehand" with that, so the edges are wild and unpredictable. The current project with these papers are square gift tags that I've been transferring some fun images to once they are all pressed.

More photos to come of the tags, but here's a little sneak peek for now:


The last several days have been very good creatively for me. It occurred to me that I have now been out of work from the full time job I had for a month now. I listed all my accomplishments to date, and it felt good. Real good. The mojo is flowing well. I don't know where the mojo is quite taking me just yet, but I'm enjoying the ride.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

The paper looks awesome! And, you are so lucky to have gotten out when you did!

Barb Friedman said...

Kate, Joel came home and was inspired to make paper! He told me all about it tonight :-)
Thanks again, and it looks great!

Heather said...

Glad to hear you're feeling good about all you've accomplished!

mayberry said...

Neenah Paper, huh? Someday you'll have to visit the motherland ...

Kate said...

Haha! Yeah I forgot that Neenah was "Wisconsin". Perhaps I'll have to make an in-house visit to the presses. ;)

Alissa said...

Beautiful!