Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Next stop: The World!

I've been a busy beaver (No, I didn't just use that expression!) these days with designing, marketing, and selling and generally just trying to get my business organized to be a well-oiled machine. The shop has actually been doing OK, considering I just really started selling seriously about a month ago. I've actually had sales that did not include anyone close or distantly related to me! Imagine that? And I'm working hard on getting a wholesale package out to a friend/former manager at this store to show off the loot. Woot! (Can you rhyme as good as me?)

So it's late at night now, and I was just perusing the exhibitors list for the National Stationery Show, and while drooling, and feeling somewhat depressed and competitive about what's out there and thinking, "why am I doing this because everyone and their brother is doing it, too?" I stopped perusing and listed a new item at the shop, as well as purchase a featured spot in tomorrow's showcase. Must. Keep. Going.

Here's a new item I just posted yesterday that I already sold:


It's relisted at the shop in case anyone is compelled to purchase :) I'm just sayin'.

I know I'm kind of rambling in the post, but I just wanted to get my feelings out on paper. Or on a computer screen. Whatever. Either way, it's tough starting a business from nothing. I said it. It's hard. I don't feel like I have enough time in the day. To me, right now time is money. When I had a day job I could slack off at work and still get a paycheck. Now, if I slack off, I'm potentially not earning myself any sales, thus not getting paid. Not that I want to slack off. It's actually the balance between my home life/work life that I'm trying to iron out and find a solution to better productivity.

Well, and in the spirit of this rambling post, onto some great news! My friend, Alissa and I are partnering on a space at the North Market for Artisan Sundays. I'm so excited about that and part of what I'm working on now in preparation for that are some handmade paper tags. I blended some paper pulp and made some paper over the weekend, then heat pressed some images on them. They are super cute. No pictures, you ask? Well, I'm still tweaking them a bit, but when I'm done I'll be sharing the finished product, as well as a demo on paper making. It's about time for a new demo on the blog, as the last one was quite some time ago.

OK, like I mentioned, it's late, I have young children waking me up early tomorrow for another groundhog day. But before I go, I must share this. Totally drool. I know it's weird, but I just love ephemera from that era. And if you're a gal with a biz, check this out, too.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

"another groundhog day." ha. yeah, that's me today, too. should I shower first? still debating...

Sara said...

Love your stuff, Kate! I so admire all the stuff you and Alissa are doing. Envious, really, because I'd love to be doing something like it, but I just don't have what it takes right now and it takes a LOT! Maybe someday. But for now, I am really enjoying watching and cheering and supporting you both. (The support had to come from my heart not my wallet right now, though, I SO wish it could be both!)