Sunday, February 24, 2013

Art of Communication



When I was in the hospital, I really wish I knew how to communicate with sign language. Before the stroke, truly I took the art of communication for granted. Obviously the loss of something brings value again.

Right after the stroke, my communication was so impairment that I could not tell you what my birthdate is or my full name. I could say "Kate", but for my last name, "Sorenson", I could not annunciate. Other things like my address, my social security number, passwords, etc. felt think they had deleted the hard drive of my brain. These are more concrete things and they came back after a few weeks.

Of course, I never thought I could ever lose my ability to communicate. These concrete things in our daily lives and they have limited values. But the soul of my thoughts, my relationships, my memories - these are so more complicated within my unlimited potential. It is nice to say "I love you" to my husband. It is a wonderful thing to say WHY I love him.

No comments: