Friday, June 5, 2009

Organize and ye shall find

So it's not uncommon for me that when I move things out of my way around the house, I move them to places that I quickly forget. Then, out of nowhere, when I get the organizing bug, I rediscover all sorts of lost treasures (some of the time at least --- most of the time it's just a bunch of junk that gets moved from one place another again).

This time, I found a couple rolls of undeveloped black and white film. They could have been from 1985, 1995 or 2005. I had no idea. I was almost a little reticent about dropping them off at the lab. But I did, and when I picked them up, here's a few samplings of what I found:







I'm not certain where the shot of the barn was taken. I think North of where we lived. The decrepit flag was taken in a park near our house. And the shot of the mountain was the view at the top of our road. It is Mount Mansfield.

Vermont is a curious place. It can feel quite bleak and lonely at times, like these pictures. The native people are quite reserved and highly suspicious of "flatlanders". And while Vermont is known for its maple trees, for months on end in the winter, Vermont is like a carcass of ice and snow. And then one day it awakens sometime at the end of May after mud season into this beautifully alive, lush landscape. And then quickly by the end of August the mountains become technicolor for a few short weeks, and all is then barren again for a long, cold winter. It is a huge buzz-kill.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

Wow! Score!

They sorta reflect how you felt about Vermont, huh?

Heather said...

What a fun thing to find!