Monday, June 15, 2009

Photo Restoration: The house that papa built

Things are busy around House of Revelry with Grandma Revelry being in town from New Jersey this week. So I haven't had much time to post new stuff because every little bit of free time has been spent on orders or getting ready for the Artisan show this weekend. But I had a little break from the festivities this afternoon while Grandma and the kids spend some quality time, so I worked on a photo restoration project someone asked me to do.

They asked that the following picture be imprinted onto a trivet:



"But can you get rid of the cousins?" Hmmmm.

The woman in the center of the picture is the owner of the house; the wife of the man who built it, and it was taken in 1933. The two other ladies, one sitting on the steps and one standing to the right of the porch, need to be removed. While I'm pressed for time on providing a step by step tutorial, what I can say is, if you have Photoshop, the cloning stamp is your best friend, and then a little hand-painting, a little burning and dodging, and then the sepia-tone action button. Here is the end result:



I like doing photo restoration a lot; there are so many stories in the eyes of the subjects. This was done for my godmother, Tae, whose mother is the woman in the picture, an immigrant from Italy. So many stories.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Nice! I don't think I have the patience to do that.

Alissa said...

You are amazing. You definitely need to teach me that. Great photo!