Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Makin' the chalkboards


It’s a bit of an assembly line around here. Of course, don’t mistake me for a GM plant, I’m only one person, but it’s amazing what a little free exposure on Etsy can do to your sales. As it so happens, yesterday when I posted my new kids version of the travel chalkboard and being all excited about selling the adult version thinking it was a fluke, an Etsy writer, Emily Bidwell, had simultaneously compiled a list of picks about vineyard styled weddings with autumnal hues. What I didn’t know at the time, is that my deep red floral-designed travel chalkboards happened to be one of the picks on her list to use as décor and favors. In a matter of hours my site visits went from say an average of 15-20 a day to nearly 1,300 yesterday.

So now I have several orders to fill, most of them being chalkboards, and I am, what you could say, a little giddy from it all. And hopeful. That’s really what it is. This is a feeling of hope. Hope that this business may actually turn a curve, get some direction, and keep up the pace with other riders. I know this little brief peak in exposure won’t last, but if anything it was a true validation that someone else out there other than me believes that what I created is good. And beyond the numbers, at the end of the day, to me it’s what it’s all about: creating some good art.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Definitely good. Couldn't have happened to a nicer, more deserving person, IMO.

mayberry said...

Absolutely an occasion for giddiness! Congratulations!