Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Suddenly last summer

So today is the last full day of summer vacation for my oldest son. And technically for my youngest son, too, even though he doesn’t start preschool until September. But his daily buddy will be gone for the weekdays after today, and so the house will return to some sort of rhythm again; a rhythm of early bedtimes and early mornings, packed lunches and homework sheets.

They are good brothers to one another considering their age difference. My youngest son does everything my oldest son does, and luckily he has been a good role model. Summer has been fun with them this year. Reflecting back, I've never been able to spend this much time with them during a summer vacation before. And so I think in the future I will look back on this as a good time, even though there had been a lot of upheaval.

So while it’s a bit bittersweet that they will now both be in school soon, I welcome the change. I welcome it because I think my youngest is very ready for school. Time for him now to understand, too what this time of year means as well. Change is in the air.






No comments: