Monday, September 14, 2009

TTV

As someone who loves photography , both old and new, I've always been fascinated with the effect given to some of the more recent prints people are selling that has that vintage, ethereal look to them. At first, I assumed it was a photoshop technique. Which is something that can be done. But then recently what I learned, is that these photographs are all part of a whole movement that employs a technique called "through the viewfinder" or TTV. The process is taking a photograph of something with your digital camera through the viewfinder of another old camera. No photoshopping necesary because you get that instant vintage look: scratches, blurs and all. Colorizing the photograph can take it one step further, or whatever else you want to do with it in photoshop.

But here's my first attempt. Apparently you are supposed to use a Duaflex camera, and I only have a Graflex, a polaroid and old 35mm Bolsey. The Graflex has a circular lens so I wasn't sure about using that one. The Bolsey is a twin lens reflex, so I took the shot through the viewfinder of that and here was the result:



A little unremarkable, but I think with some practice, a better subject and maybe getting my hands on a Duaflex may bring it all together. I ran across the technique while browsing for something else while eating my lunch and I just had to do it. I have no time for this since my workload is huge, but I couldn't resist running out to my front porch and doing it right away. If you have any old cameras lying around, you should give it a try! Very fun to see the results.

2 comments:

mayberry said...

Oh, my SIL does this! (The one you already know & love.) It is such a cool effect. Poke around her site if you get a chance -- I think she has examples.

Heather said...

I have heard of this technique before but have never tried it. I bet you'll have fun learning this!