Thursday, July 23, 2009

And let the buying commence

There was some advice that was provided to me and a friend at a local craft show once as we were talking with a fellow vendor about our Etsy shops. Here's the simple advice: list something daily. And this is good advice coming from someone who has had 845 sales on her site, as opposed to my, *ahem* 17. And I believe in it, because I've experienced the proof. I've been a little lax with listing new things and feeling a bit indecisive about where the business is going. As it turns out the answer is a little more complex than I may want it to be. The simple answer is: do what sells. But the business may very well need multiple personalities in order for me to sustain a future to make this my career. While my crafts are the most items that have sold, it's a bit of a turn from what the business plan was from the beginning. But hey, go with the flow right?

Anyway, back to the Etsy advice. I have been listing like a crazy woman yesterday and today. Wedding coasters, custom trivets, art trivets, and more coasters. The kids were away with my sister-in-law for the day/night yesterday so it gave me a little peace and quiet to really concentrate on some things. It's amazing what you can get done without kids around! I can't wait until Andrew goes to school full-time! (*sigh* 2 more years to wait on that one. When I think back to before I had kids, I have no idea what I did with myself on a daily basis).

So now, please come back to me, listing karma. I've listed like a mad woman. Now let the buying commence.


This is a new listing: a custom trivet.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I think there are 2 philosophies on etsy...hard core business or hobby. I'm full in the hobby portion though I enjoy every sale. I just can't justify any more time and expense for more!

Anonymous said...

Good luck! Your shop looks great!

I'd love to come down to the Artisan Sundays . . . maybe next month :-)
<3
Sarah