Tuesday, July 21, 2009

When a little gratitude goes a long way

As most of you know, at the end of March this year, I hosted a craft show at my son's school. Well, as it is common in life, things don't always go as planned, and a few weeks before the show I found out I was getting laid off from my day job at J.P. Morgan. Needless to say, my stress level sky rocketed at this time. Obviously so close to the show I couldn't cancel it, although truthfully, that's what I wanted to do. When I got the news I would be laid off, I wanted to crawl into a hole. I wanted to crawl into a really deep, large hole. But it's true when they say time heals wounds, because while I have my good days and bad days on how I feel about my new business venture, I am no longer in panic mode.

And in the end, after a few bumps in the road, and a few difficult people, the craft show worked out. From the beginning of the planning, I wanted my intention of profits going to the art department to be a surprise. We raised over $900 for the art department, and I left a note for the art teacher at the end of the school year to let her know about the money. Since then, I haven't really thought about it at all, since this past spring turned out to be a time I didn't want to remember anyway. It actually seems like a long time ago already, because so much has changed in my life in just a few short months.

So a surprise came in the mail today. A thank you note. And a wonderfully written thank you note from the art teacher herself, thanking me for the money we raised. Here it is below:




It warmed my heart to read her kind words and made me feel that I had accomplished something good after all. That while life throws you curves, you persevere and continue going, because it is worthwhile in the end.

And so it made my day.

3 comments:

Alissa said...

<3 XO

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, genuine heartfelt thank you card! Super cool! I admire you very much for starting your own business. You will do great things! Hope to see you tomorrow night!

Amy Phillips-Gary said...

What a great moment to savor Kate-- thanks for sharing!